Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Hey there family!

So sorry I couldn't ever get on last week to email, we never got a P-Day (being Assistant to the President sometimes means there is no time for Preparation Day) really and then when we were going to try to email later in the week on Thursday (our most free afternoon), we got a call from Pres. Swain (his mission President) and had to drive out to Magna to deal with some disciplinary things (part of his AP duties), and that took all afternoon. So that kind of took away that opportunity haha. But here's a small recap of things that have been going on:

I don't think I've ever been this busy in my entire life. This is truly an opportunity to grow and learn. I thought the mission had been challenging but very manageable up until this point, but now I'm getting to learn and grow like never before. It's such a unique perspective on the Work of Salvation, and it's keeping me beyond busy.

We have been doing our absolute best in our area this transfer, and it's starting to show the results. 1 baptism and 3 reactivations so far for October, and we're hoping for more this upcoming weekend. We found a few new investigators, a cool experience was that a guy in the Tongan ward came home from his mission 2 weeks ago, named Nella, and he brought his 2 sisters to church. Their names are Fa and Lupe. They aren't members, and their dad is a pastor for the Church of Tonga, but they want to get taught and baptized because they've seen the blessings in their brother. SO cool!!!!!

We've been beyond busy this transfer with office stuff, even more than usual according to Elder Chappell. We've had 6 Emergency Transfers, no good. 4 missionaries have gone home early, which is always sad. We even took one to the airport ourselves. We had to wake up at 4am to get him there on time, after having gone to bed around midnight the night before, so that made for a tired day haha. But it was a weird experience. This kid seemed pretty sad, he'd only been out for about 3 weeks, but he's going to go home and get some things in order. It was interesting to see what the process is for missionaries going home, craziness. And everyone (at the airport) kept asking where I was going haha, I just kept saying, "Nowhere, this is my mission." Then they laughed and asked again....and I told them I was serious hahahah. I love this mission so much though, it's such a big blessing to be able to be here and learn from all the people and President Swain.

I'm sorry I can't write more. So, in a meeting with Pres. Swain last week, he brought up a concern. Tons of missionaries are claiming that they're homesick, and he doesn't like that because it causes missionaries to go home early. He stated that he'll be enforcing a new rule, that during email time, we can't "chat” (email back and forth) with our family and friends back home. He said he knows that it doesn't negatively affect everyone, but it does some people, so he's just going to make it a rule.

I know that'll probably make you sad. I hope you know how much I love y'all and wish I could just pick up the phone and call you all the time, I have so many stories and I just can't get them right via email. But I'll be calling you in just a few weeks! (He gets to call/Skype on Christmas Day!) No worries :) Please don't be upset, just know that I'll make a big effort to take more pictures and write better letters so you know what's going on.

This upcoming week, we have Mission Leadership Council, which will be fun. I'm excited because I really feel like we have good Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders in our mission, and it'll aid the work so much. I know that the Gospel is true, and I gain a more sure testimony of the Atonement of our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, every single day. There is no way to fully describe the joy that comes with the Gospel, it has to be experienced. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to be able to be here and share it. Also, if y'all haven't ever read the talk "Rejoice!" by Quentin L. Cook, from the October 1996 conference, you should go check it out. It's amazing! Rejoice by Quentin L. Cook

I love you so much, thank you for being the best family and support ever.

Love always,

Scottie

P..S. Thank you again so much for the package (we sent him a Halloween package), and thanks so much for sending one to the Balderas family too. They were beyond hyped to get it, they said thank you to you so many times, Elisa is super excited to meet you, Levi said "Love you Mama Higgins!", and they're just really thankful. You're awesome for so many reasons, best parents in the world.


(From his email to his Aunt Tammy):
Hey Aunt Tammy!!

I'm definitely staying way busier than I ever was before with all this new responsibility and new area, but I'm loving it. 

Thank you so much for your constant support and love. These last few weeks have been a big time of learning and growth for me, I wish I could just pick up the phone and call you! But I’ll be home before you know it, this week marks only 6 months left. Crazy to think about. 

I am doing really well though. Very happy, very fortunate to be here in this mission. 

I love you! Can't wait to see you again!

Scottie


No comments:

Post a Comment