Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Scottie watching General Conference in the home of Senor de Alba

Hey family!!!!


So let me just say, this last week definitely has changed my mission. That's for sure :)

On Tuesday we started our exchanges (on exchanges they pair up with another set of missionaries and switch companions for a day) with our Assistants to the President (APs), and I had interviews with Pres. Swain (his mission president) that day too. Pres. called me in, sat me down, and we started with a prayer. Then, he said, "Elder Higgins, the Lord would like you to serve as an AP." So....I'm definitely getting transferred haha. 


The new assignment becomes official!

Being an Assistant will bring an incredible amount of new responsibilities. Because it's so much, I left my area last Tuesday and have spent the whole week with the AP's (except Saturday, I got to go back to my area and and watch General Conference and say bye to people), and I've been on information overload mode trying to learn everything. To give you an example of how crazy our life is sometimes as AP's, we got here to the office to work on Transfer details (transfers occur every six weeks, during transfers new missionaries come in, those finishing their mission leave and missionaries are moved around as needed) yesterday at 4:30pm....and didn't leave the office until 12:15am. 8 straight hours of work, no dinner haha. Would've ordered a pizza...but it was Sunday. We've got 21 missionaries coming in tomorrow so lots to do with that. 

Elder Jarvis (Scottie's companion) snoozing - after conference, I'm sure :) 

It is pretty cool, I got to sit in on the meetings with Pres. Swain to talk about transfers, so I know where every missionary in the mission is going and I got to help pick some of them. (His mission has 160 missionaries and 20 Senior couples – married couples serving together)

Monday morning meeting with President Swain



I also get a car now. I got to drive for the first time in almost a year and a half last Thursday, which was awesome. 2013 Ford Focus, nothing too fancy but driving is fun :)

I love y'all and we've got lots to work on today. We don't really get a pday (preparation day) today since we've got so much to do, but hopefully next week I can try and write more. I'll send some pictures too!

iPads for new missionaries!

Elders Isabell and Chappell training Scottie on his new AP duties!

I love y'all. I'm excited for this opportunity. I know I'll learn tons! I'm sad to be leaving all the people in my last area, but it's okay, I know our relationships will last after the mission :)

The AP I am replacing is going home in 6 weeks, he's already been assistant for 7.5 months, so pres. (President Swain)  is letting him do his last transfer in the field. 

I'll probably spend the rest of my mission as AP.

I'll be in 2 wards: an English YSA (Young Single Adult) and a Tongan YSA haha....I'll miss Spanish. (He has been serving Spanish congregations and communities since he began his mission)

The wards both meet 9:00-12:00, but have sacrament on opposite ends of the block (of meetings). So it goes: 
Ward council from 7:00am-->9:00am
Sacrament in one ward from 9:00-->10:00
Classes for an hour
Other sacrament meeting
Other ward council meeting

And we don't always get a P-Day as AP’s, and sometimes it changes randomly, depending on the day. So we'll just have to be super patient there :)

And because it's YSA (Young Single adults – they don’t do much cooking!), we almost never eat with people (missionaries normally have dinner with different members of the congregations where they are serving). They give us money, we go out to eat. They eat in restaurants A LOT! It’ll be way different (he is used to eating dinner in the homes of the Spanish-speaking families he served) hahahttps://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


Love you!!!!

Scottie

(From his email to his Aunt Tammy):

Hey Aunt Tammy!!

Sorry it's kind of short, but we've had a crazy last week. I got called as an Assistant to the Mission President,  it is the highest leadership position you can get assigned to as a missionary (there are only two AP’s in his mission). So I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time. 

We've got a crazy day, but I'll try to send more emails next week :) I love you! I'll send good vibes out to all!!

Te amo!

Love, 


Scottie












No comments:

Post a Comment